If you’re about to improve your oral health with wisdom tooth surgery, then you are most likely wondering about the recovery period after the treatment. Most of the time, when people think of waking up from surgery, they think of being loopy and silly. Although this can be quite entertaining, you also need to think about the things you need to do to recover properly. To help you, our dentist, Dr. Jeremy Hixson, is happy to give you recovery tips, which are:
- Get plenty of rest. In fact, you should rest for about two to three days after surgery. This will help you recover the quickest.
- Ice outside the area to reduce swelling, help the pain, and avoid skin color changes. You can use an ice pack to do so.
- Warm the area with a heating pad if your jaw gets overly sore.
- Exercise your jaw by opening and closing it regularly. This can help you avoid a lot of stiffness.
- Only have a soft-foods diet when you recover. You can eat things like yogurt, soup, pasta, rice, and ice cream.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water.
- Brush your teeth on the second day of recovery. As you do so, be careful around the surgical site. Don’t brush the blood clots.
- Take the medication your dentist gave you. If you didn’t receive any, take over-the-counter painkillers as necessary.
- Contact our team if you get a fever or if the pain and swelling doesn’t subside.
Do you have any questions about how to recover after wisdom tooth removal in Eagle, Idaho? If so, please contact Eagle Oral Surgery and Implant Center today at (208) 995-2865. Our dental team is happy to help you, and we look forward to your phone call!